Today our foody post is on how to make a vegetable biryani! I thought it might be nice to do a main meal post instead of just snacks and this is my favourite dinner at the moment (my plate is always piled high when I have it). Its really yummy and healthy too. 🙂
This ones abit more complicated than my previous foody posts so I am including extra photos of the process! If anything doesn’t make sense though please leave me a message at the bottom and I’ll get Dizzy to explain better. 🙂 xxx
- 1 large onion
- 1 pepper
- Green beans
- 1 large potato (or baby potatoes)
- Avocado oil (or any oil of your choice! I use avocado because of it’s high smoking point)
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes in tomato juice
- Spices for the curry base: Cumin seeds, chilly flakes, fennel seeds, turmeric, garam masala, curry powder, curry leaves
- Spices to flavour the rice: Cinnamon stick, aniseed stars, cardamom pods, cloves, fennel seeds
Don’t worry if you don’t have all the spices. Just add what you do have or replace some of them with ones that you already have in your cupboard! 🙂
How to make:
Stage 1: Making the curry base
- Chop up the pepper and half the onion and the fry them together
- Chop up the potato and steam or boil until soft
- Pour the two tins of chopped tomatoes into a pan and heat
- Add the onion, pepper, potato and green beans in with the chopped tomatoes
- Next add cumin seeds, chilly flakes, fennel seeds, turmeric, garam masala, curry powder and curry leaves. Stir together until all the ingredients are evenly mixed
Left the mixing up to Dizzy! 🙂
Stage 2: Caramelising the onion (Optional)
- Chop up the remaining half of the onion
- Heat oil on a low heat and add the chopped onion. Fry for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until they have gone soft and golden brown
Dizzy in charge of the chopping too. He’s better at it than me!
Stage 3: Rice!
- Heat water in a pan until it comes to the boil
- Turn heat down so no longer on the boil and add rice, cinnamon stick, aniseed stars, cardamom pods, cloves and fennel seeds
- Boil rice until 75% cooked
- Drain the rice and pour back into the pan
- Add the curry base to the rice and mix thoroughly
- Leave to cook until the rice is soft
Dizzy checking to see that the rice is cooked.
7. When rice is completely cooked it is ready to serve!
8. Add a squeeze of lemon on top and enjoy. 🙂