Today I made Kale crisps for the first time! Since being diagnosed I have been on a little mission to be healthier. I had attempted this many, many times before but the cookies and cakes had always just been too tempting.
After going through the first stages of feeling depressed and scared, slightly annoyed that no one had warned me, given me a little sign or nudge, ‘the whole getting ill thing, that happens’ because you never actually expect it to be YOU. That’s just silly. But through an almost obsessive time of searching online (mostly coming across stories that made me think the most exciting my life was going to get from now on was when someone made a profit on Bargain Hunt), I soon came across the OMS programme and Swank’s MS diet . At the time it was just amazing to come across something vaguely hopeful related to MS but reading through it, it made sense. I’d sat through enough healthy eating programmes to know this was something people had been going on about for a while and if it made me healthier, then it made sense that it might make me immune system happier in the process!
To me I see my immune system as a very intelligent, determined child that has got abit lost and confused about things. I do find it ridiculous that my little immune child is part of me and I can’t simply just tell it to ‘stop doing that now’ but I’ve been trying and that still hasn’t been successful. I think the healthy stuff is doing a bit of a better job.
Changing diet though has meant having to either learn to cook and try new things, or pick the other option of just living on baked potatoes without the cheese (and I don’t like baked potatoes without the cheese), so it gave me a mini mission of finding new things!
I recently came across kale crisps and they looked pretty simple to make, which straight away is a positive in my book and I’m surprised to say they turned out pretty well. The only thing that went abit wrong was the amount, looked like more on the tray…And the second batch definitely had a burnt feel about them, so perhaps don’t wonder off like I did when they are in the oven…. 🙂
- EV Olive Oil
- Slat and pepper
- Dried rosemary or any other flavouring you would like to add (Optional)
How to make:
- Pre heat oven at 165 degrees
- Chop up the Kale, removing the stems (ignore this if you’ve gone for the pre chopped up bag of Kale)
- Cover baking tray with foil and place Kale onto the foil. Make sure no Kale is overlapping
- Drizzle EV Olive Oil over the Kale
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and any other flavourings over the Kale
- Put Kale into the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes. Turn the leaves over half way through and cook until all leaves are crispy.
- Pop Kale crisps on a plate and enjoy! 🙂